One thing I’ve learned about cookies is, oftentimes, the more amazing they look, the more disappointing they taste. I am always a sucker for ordering a cookie at a deli or bakery. Poised there behind the glass bakery case, sits a giant cookie that just looks irresistable. I lose all focus on everything else going on around me and all I can think about is why I need that cookie, NOW! More times than I’m proud of, I succumb to the craving. A few bites in, I wish I hadn’t. I leave knowing I should have saved the calories for my own homemade cookies.
So, I realize these cookies do not look like anything special. But, if you love chocolate, these are definitely worth the splurge. This recipe actually came from Sparkrecipes.com, the food section of Sparkpeople.com, an extremely popular FREE nutrition and fitness website. I receive their daily recipe emails and have loved every recipe I have tried from the site. There are 102.5 calories per chocolate cookie. They don’t look like much, but this cookie has all the taste you need to crush a cookie-craving meltdown.
911 Emergency Cookies
6 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
6 oz bittersweet chocolate (can use dark chocolate), broke into large pieces
1 stick unsalted butter, softened and divided
1 1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Melt chocolates and 1/2 stick butter (in microwave). Cool briefly.
2. Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Beat 1/2 stick butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until the consistency of wet sand.
4. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix.
5. Mix in chocolate mixture, beating only until combined.
6. Stir in flour mixture, only until combined.
7. Chill for 1 hour.
8. Dip out with an ice cream scoop (I use a 4 teaspoon cookie dipper) onto a greased cookie sheet.
9. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 9 to 11 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Do not over bake.
10. Cool 2 minutes on pan before moving to cooling racks.
48 servings. One serving has 102.5 calories, 4.5 g total fat, 17.9 mg cholesterol, 67.2 mg sodium, 16 g total carbs, .8 g dietary fiber, 1.4 g protein.
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MARYHAMILTON.